So this week I am trying out this service called Relish. If you haven't heard of it, it is this neat website that puts out a bunch of recipes on Thursday mornings and you can pick however many you would like to try that week and the site organizes a shopping list for you. You can also change the serving size for the recipes, which I found to be both a blessing and a curse (more on that later). You have to pay for this service and while I was interested in it, I was hesitant to shell out money before trying it out. Luckily I found a promotion code on some other blog to try it free for two weeks.
The first recipe I tried was Veggie Chicken Salad Pita Sandwiches for lunch on Sunday. We thoroughly enjoyed these sandwiches (except they made a huge mess because our pita kept falling apart). I bet meat and potatoes Marshal Mike never thought he would eat (and enjoy!) and tempeh fake chicken salad!
Veggie Chicken Salad Sandwiches
(aka Baked Tempeh Salad Pita Sandwiches)
adapted from Relish
1 8oz package Tempeh, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 white onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup Italian parsley, chopped
1 stalk celery, diced
4 sandwich size sliced dill pickles, diced (the original recipe called for 1/2 of a 32 oz jar of dill pickle slices - what? Are you kidding me? Would you like any other vegetables with your pickle sandwich?)
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
course salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 lettuce leaves
2 whole wheat pita pockets
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Toss tempeh with olive oil. Place on baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, stirring halfway through. Let cool.
3. Meanwhile, sauté onion and garlic in a little olive oil over medium heat until soft. (The original recipe just calls for raw onion and garlic in the salad. No thanks.) Transfer to a large bowl.
4. Mix baked tempeh with onion, garlic, parsley, celery, pickles, mayo, mustard, salt and pepper.
5. Line each pita with a lettuce leaf and fill with tempeh salad. Serve immediately.