June 3, 2011

Roasted Vegetables with Creamy Avocado Dipping Sauce


I know, I know, more roasted vegetables. I will move on eventually.

Hands down, the star of this dish is the avocado dipping sauce. Oh. My. Goodness. I found myself eating it with a spoon while I was waiting for the vegetables to finish roasting. I literally licked the bowl of the food processor clean. So unbelievably delicious! And it couldn't be easier; just throw all the ingredients into a food processor and let it go!

One note about the roasted vegetables: I used golden beets, baby yellow potatoes and kohlrabi (and I threw five grape tomatoes on the pan during the last five minutes, just to see what would happen). In case you have never seen kohlrabi, here is a picture:

Picture from Simply Recipes
Cute, right? I was so intrigued by the way it looked that I just had to try it. And I will tell you, it was actually better raw than roasted. Raw, it tastes a little like broccoli stems with the texture of an apple. After roasting, it didn't have much taste. However, they served as an excellent vehicle to get the avocado dip into my mouth!

And on a not completely unrelated note, Patton loves vegetables. Raw cauliflower stems? Check. Roasted beets? Check. Raw broccoli stems? Check. The core of the fennel bulb? Check. Roasted potatoes? Check. Raw kohlrabi? Check. Parsley stems? Check.

Creamy Avocado Dipping Sauce
Adapted from Best of Mother Earth

Flesh from 1 avocado
1 garlic clove
Juice from 1 lemon
Handful of parsley leaves
1 1/2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Combine all ingredients except olive oil and salt and pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth and while running, slowly drizzle olive oil through the chute. Taste for salt and pepper.

No comments:

Post a Comment