June 28, 2011

Garlic Scape and Basil Pesto Penne


Watch out! Those garlic scapes are intense! They will keep more than vampires away! The cats, naturally, acted disgusted as only cats can act, but Patton didn't seem to be bothered by my sharp, spicy garlic breath. Probably because he loves me unconditionally. The jury's out on the cats.

This pesto recipe is from the Potomac Vegetable Farms Cookbook, which I received as a CSA member this year. Their recipe with my notes is below. I added one pint of quartered grape tomatoes (they were the biggest grape tomatoes I have ever seen!) to the hot penne and the pesto. Add a little pasta water to thin out the pesto.

Garlic Scape and Basil Pesto
From Potomac Vegetable Farms Cookbook

1/4 cup garlic scapes, chopped into 2 inch pieces (I threw in all five of the garlic scapes I received)
1/4 cup basil (I used all of the basil I received)
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (I would have used more lemon juice, but one of the lemons I had bought was a moldy nasty mess)
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (I did use more, but I wanted the pesto to be pretty chunky since I would thin it with pasta cooking water)
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (sadly, I didn't have enough cheese in the fridge; I don't think I even had a cup)
Sea salt

1. Process the scapes, basil and lemon juice in a food processor until in small chunky pieces.  With the processor running, slowly add the olive oil through the chute. Scrape down the sides and add the cheese. Add salt to taste and add more olive oil until it gets to the desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment