July 5, 2010

Sausage and Summer Vegetable Sauté

 Don't you worry, there is fennel in there!

I pulled out last summer's issues of Gourmet magazine to find some recipes to make this week and this is the first one we tried. (This recipe can also be found on Epicurious.) It was really fantastic. Unfortunately, I wasn't paying attention when I was prepping the vegetables, so the corn went into the sauté at the same time as the other vegetables, but it ended up being fine. They were certainly not overcooked. (On a separate note, this is the first time I have ever cut corn off the cob - whoa, what a mess! Corn was flying around the kitchen! I remembered hearing on a cooking show to cut the corn into a bowl to prevent getting corn all over the place, so I did that with the second cob and it worked pretty well. On another separate note, at the Ft. Myer Commissary, corn was 16 cents per cob. 16 cents! What? I didn't think you could get anything for that cheap. Now, it wasn't the best quality - nothing like the corn we get right from the farm in RI - but it worked just fine in this dish.)

As you can see from the picture, I added carrots to the sauté. (If you are a loyal reader you will know I have had carrots living in my crisper drawer for probably a month now, if not longer. Well, not any more! I have finally used them up. And they were still crisp!) I also didn't realize the dill I had in the fridge had gone bad, so my finished dish did not get any dill. I think it would have made it even better. When MM and I were eating it, we noticed that something was missing. And I think a fresh herb was that something.

No comments:

Post a Comment