July 8, 2010

Pork Chops Saltimbocca

Photo from Gourmet

So last night was kind of a hot mess. DC has been such a literal boiling hot mess lately that it is hard to get anything done and turning on the oven is frowned upon by all members of the household (2 and 4 legged alike). But I didn't think the pork chops would last another day in the fridge, so I made Pork Chops Saltimbocca with Sauteed Spinach from Gourmet's August 2009 issue. 

As you may or may not know, saltimbocca means "jump in the mouth" in Italian and typically refers to a thin piece of veal rolled up with prosciutto and sage. As the story goes, the food is so delicious that it jumps into your mouth. I don't eat veal, but enjoy the flavors of prosciutto and sage, so I was happy to make this with pork. You could certainly make this with chicken, too. This Gourmet recipe adds fontina cheese to the mix as well. (Oddly enough, i couldn't find Italian fontina, so had to use Dutch fontina. I wonder what the difference is.)

Anyway, once it was finally done, I had managed to burn my thumb on the hot pan that had just come out of the 450 degree oven and was holding an ice cube to it, so I couldn't be bothered taking a picture of the finished dish. You'll just have to trust me that my finished dish looked exactly like the Gourmet picture (except we used boneless pork chops).  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment