September 23, 2011

Roasted Vegetables

Hey, look, BlB is roasting vegetables again!

Did I even give you time to miss them?

My brain and my energy were running on empty this week and quite frankly, the bags of CSA vegetables have started to overwhelm me. It can be annoying to cook for one person! All that work! All those leftovers! (I ate the vegetable barley soup for five meals!) Wait, I have to do the dishes, too?! Can't I just have cheese and crackers again?

That being said, there is nothing wrong with roasted vegetables. It gets them out of the fridge and into my belly and really, isn't that the point? In fact, I think the high heat and silky olive oil do wonders for the texture and flavors of vegetables. I was especially impressed by the eggplant. The outside was crisp and salty and the inside creamy like melted cheese. Everyone would eat eggplant if it tasted like this all the time!

I know you don't need a recipe for roasted vegetables, but here is what I did anyway.

Roasted Vegetables
Serves 1 hungry person and 1 begging dog (seriously, Patton loves vegetables)

1 medium eggplant, diced (unfortunately week 14's eggplant had gone bad, so I used this week's)
1 red bell pepper, diced (I had been scared of week 12's large red pepper, so I was ignoring it; I am so bummed I waited so long to eat it! It was sweet and delicious.)
7 (I think) medium carrots, peeled and diced (from week 14)
1 celeriac bulb, peeled and diced (from this week)
extra virgin olive oil
coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
dried Italian seasoning

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Toss all of the vegetables together in a bowl with a couple glugs of olive oil, a tablespoon of salt, some pepper and about a teaspoon of dried Italian herbs. Spread onto a baking sheet. Roast for 15 minutes, stir, and roast for 15 minutes more. Depending on how large you cut your vegetables they may be done now or they may need more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment