September 5, 2011

Leftover Spaghetti Frittata


I tried a recipe from the Washington Post the other night called Summer Spaghetti. It was a part of the Post's annual "Top Tomato" contest where they invite Washingtonians to send in their best tomato recipes. This particular recipe was a finalist and intrigued me because the only item you cooked was the pasta. 

Well, I ended up having a couple problems with this recipe. The raw onion about killed me; the sharp taste lingered in my mouth for about a day (yes, I do brush my teeth), and the overall dish just lacked taste. I love vinegar and capers and I even added mozzarella and yet, I was so underwhelmed. But I saved the leftovers because I just couldn't stand throwing the good ingredients away. The next day I said, WWIT: What Would Italians Do?

Make a frittata! The frittata saved the leftovers - it turned out delicious.

Leftover Spaghetti Frittata
Serves 3

Ingredients

4 large eggs
1-2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
3 cups leftover pasta
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

1. Preheat the broiler.

2. Whisk the eggs and milk in a bowl. Heat the olive oil in an oven-safe 10 inch saute pan over medium heat. Add the pasta to the pan and heat for about 30 seconds - 1 minute. Pour the egg mixture over the pasta and gently stir so that the egg covers all of the pasta. Cook until eggs are just set, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese over the top and transfer the pan to the oven.

3. Broil until the top is golden, 3-5 minutes. Run a rubber spatula around the edge of the frittata to help it release from the pan. Transfer the frittata to a plate and cut into wedges.

No comments:

Post a Comment