April 20, 2011

Braised Lentils with Roasted Vegetables

I did mix them together when I ate them...

I have been craving lentils, which is kind of strange, because I associate them with winter and we are forecasted to hit 85 degrees today in DC, so it is decidedly NOT winter. I also had some vegetables that I wanted to use before I left town for Easter (RI - here I come!), so I got out Mark Bittman's How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. I figured if anyone can help me, Mark Bittman can! I used his braised lentils recipe as a guideline; my recipe is below.

Braised Lentils with Roasted Vegetables
Serves 3-4

Ingredients

1 medium sweet potato, peeled and diced
3 medium golden beets, peeled and diced
2 handfuls baby potatoes, diced
Extra virgin olive oil
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 sweet onion, diced
1 link fresh sweet Italian sausage, casing removed (I think it is about 1/4 lb)
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 cup lentils, rinsed
2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 cup white wine
1 teaspoon or more dried Italian seasoning

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. 

2. Toss the sweet potato, beets and baby potatoes together with a tablespoon or more of olive oil, salt and pepper. Transfer to a baking sheet.

3. Heat a tablespoon or two of olive oil in a heavy bottomed pot (or Le Creuset brasier!) over medium heat. Add onion and sausage and cook until onion is soft and meat is brown (7 or so minutes). Add garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Add lentils, broth, wine and the Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil, then partly cover the pan and gently simmer for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. 

4. Put the vegetables in the oven when the lentils start to boil. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring once. 

5. The lentils should be tender after 25-30 minutes. If there is a lot of liquid left in the pan, raise the heat slightly so some evaporates. You want there to be some liquid remaining. 

6. Taste the lentils and the vegetables for seasoning and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment