April 19, 2011

Banana Chocolate Chip Bread


I know, you all must think I am crazy for posting another banana bread recipe (for those keeping count, this is number 5). Perhaps I should change the name of the blog to The Banana Bread and Fennel Enthusiast. (That doesn't really help my crazy status, now does it?)

This particular recipe is from a blog called Cassie's Kitchen: Adventures of a Laid-Off Lawyer. I don't follow her blog, so I can't tell you anymore about it. I just happened to have a print out of this recipe in one of my recipe binders, which I was cleaning out this past weekend. What interested me the most about this recipe was the whole teaspoon of nutmeg. So I decided to give it a shot!

I followed the recipe as written, except I didn't think 3/4 cup of chocolate chips looked like enough, so I used 1 cup. Don't be a piggy like me, this bread does not need 1 cup of chocolate chips. I happened to have a little bit of slivered almonds lying around, so I threw in about 1/4 cup. I loved the crunch they gave the bread without overpowering the banana and spice flavor. I think walnuts or pecans or some other nut would have been too powerful.

All in all, this recipe is a keeper. The bread formed a crunchy top, which I absolutely love, was moist and had the perfect crumb. Additionally, the spices added another dimension that you don't expect, but complement the banana flavor wonderfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment