April 28, 2011

Braised Leeks with Lemon Vinaigrette


So I debated including the picture you see accompanying this post. Mainly because it is not pretty. Braised leeks aren't really that pretty to begin with and I am certainly not a food stylist. I am sure someone somewhere can make a plate of braised leeks look pretty. I am not that person. So, please accept my apologies for the slimy looking green vegetables on the red plate.

Now, on to the the important things. These leeks are amazing! I was shocked they ended up as flavorful as they did. I got the idea for having leeks take the starring role of a dish from Molly Wizenberg, blogger extraordinaire, published author, Bon Appetit contributor, and co-owner of Delancy, a restaurant in Seattle, with her husband. I haven't read her book, but I love the way she writes. I look forward to her column in Bon Appetit every month. (I just read her FAQs on her site and it turns out that April 2011 was her last column for BA. Big sad face.)

Anyway, last September, she posted about leeks vinaigrette and I was intrigued. I didn't use her recipe for this dish because I didn't want to boil my leeks. Instead I used Mark Bittman's recipe for leeks braised in olive oil from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. At the end I poured a lemon-mustard vinaigrette over the leeks. The result was so flavorful and satisfying. The tart vinaigrette paired wonderfully with the sweet meltingly succulent leeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment