July 27, 2011

Ditalini with Sauteed Summer Squash


This is really simple and super quick, but packs a lot of flavor and is refreshingly light on a hot summer night.

I had originally been looking for a recipe to use up some of the CSA summer squash and chard and stumbled upon this one on the blog Rhubarb Sky. When I started to wash the chard, I realized that it was really past its prime and would have to make a new home in the trash instead of the skillet. Then I realized that I didn't have any orzo or basil, and the goat cheese in the fridge was moldy. So I decided I would just make up my own dish and was pleasantly surprised! The capers add an interesting salty/vinegary pop to the vegetables and the pasta.

Ditalini with Sauteed Summer Squash
Serves 3

Ingredients

1 cup ditalini
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
extra virgin olive oil
1 pattypan squash, diced
2 small yellow summer squash, diced
1 zucchini, diced
2 small cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons capers
Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

1. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Salt generously. Cook the pasta to al dente, drain and transfer to a large bowl. Toss with one tablespoon butter.

2. Meanwhile, heat one tablespoon butter and one tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the squash and cook until tender, 5-8 minutes. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, less than a minute. Remove from the heat. Add the capers and a little bit of the liquid in the caper jar. Stir to combine.

3. Transfer the vegetables to the large bowl with the pasta. Add the final tablespoon of butter and stir to melt. Add the cheese (I used 1/2 - 3/4 cup) and stir to combine. Taste for seasoning.

No comments:

Post a Comment