May 19, 2011

Fusilli with Kale, Lemon and Grape Tomatoes


Look, ma, no roasted vegetables!

This is my second attempt at utilizing kale. The first time didn't make it onto the blog; I made kale chips and was not impressed. Actually, more than not impressed, I was super disappointed as everyone in the blogosphere raves about kale chips. Do a quick search and you'll see what I mean. I found the kale chips to be weird and not satisfying. The crunchy parts kind of disintegrated in my mouth, which I just found to be weird.

Anyway, kale is so healthy that I decided I needed to give it another try in a different setting. Additionally, lemons were on sale at the grocery this past weekend, so I had a couple laying around. I did a quick search and stumbled upon Easy Lemon-Garlic Kale Pasta on a blog called The Cilantropist. It sounded like exactly what I was looking for.

I did alter the recipe slightly and added some halved grape tomatoes for more sweetness and a pop of color. (And guess what, they were on sale!) I also threw in some grated parmesan at the end because what pasta dish doesn't get better with cheese?

Fusilli with Kale, Lemon and Grape Tomatoes
Adapted from The Cilantropist
Serves 3

Ingredients

1/4 tsp + 1 tsp minced garlic
1 bunch kale, roughly chopped
1/2 pound fusilli or other dried pasta
Extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon sliced in half lengthwise, then sliced into half moons
1 lemon, zested and juiced
3/4 pint grape tomatoes, halved
3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add 1/4 teaspoon garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the kale and cook until wilted and bright green, about 8 minutes. Transfer the kale to a large bowl.

2. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt generously. Cook the pasta according to package directions and drain, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water. Transfer the cooked pasta to the bowl with the kale.

3. While the pasta is cooking, heat 1/4 cup olive oil over medium-low heat in the same skillet in which the kale was cooked. Add 1 teaspoon minced garlic and the lemon slices. Cook gently (lower the heat if it is making too much noise) for 10 minutes. Strain the oil through a fine mesh sieve.

4.Toss the kale and pasta with the lemon oil, lemon juice, lemon zest, tomatoes and cheese. Taste for seasoning. Add some of the reserved pasta water if necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment