November 2, 2011

Butternut Squash Stuffed Cabbage


Last week I went to my favorite after work destination, Casa Nonna, with my friend Meghan. For the last couple months, Casa Nonna has been offering a traditional Italian aperitivo, where they supply a selection of free appetizers while you drink.

(Random side note: one of my favorite, and perhaps first, aperitivo memories is from a trip to Siena in college with my friend Jo. We had wandered into some bar and after realizing the food was free as long as we ordered a drink, we couldn't have been happier. The theme for the rest of the trip was "sorpresa de frutta," thanks to our kind bartender!)

Casa Nonna always has a nice spread and one of the appetizers on this particular evening was cabbage rolls stuffed with butternut squash and sage. They were delicious and I thought it might be a good use for the butternut squash and cabbage from my CSA.

In my quick search on the internet, the only recipe I could find is from a blog called The Prudent Foodie. It looked easy enough, so I gave it a try. The rolls turned out ok, but my one complaint is that the recipe doesn't state how long to boil the cabbage before you try to roll it. Being from a predominantly Italian family, I haven't had any experience with cabbage rolls, so didn't quite boil them long enough. They rolled ok, but the large end of the rib didn't cook all the way through, so the end result required a lot of chewing. I also didn't think the tomato cream sauce worked with the rolls. I think a sage cream sauce or sage butter sauce would have worked better.

No comments:

Post a Comment