February 3, 2011

Mujaddara with Spiced Yogurt

This is the kind of dish I have to make when MM is not around. "Lentils, rice and onions for dinner? That's it? Are you mad?"

No, I am not mad, this dish was delicious! I found the recipe on Food52 and was really excited to try it because I love lentils and caramelized onions (see here, here, here, and here).

I don't eat a lot of rice and am not well-versed in the best methods of cooking it (unless we are talking about risotto!), so was intrigued when the recipe said this particular method was "tried and true." Well, I followed the directions and when I took the pot out of the oven after 17 minutes, the rice was mushy and adhered to the bottom and sides of the pot. It definitely could have come out at 15 minutes. However, I found that not only do I love the way jasmine rice tastes, mushy texture notwithstanding, but I loved the crunch of the rice that I chiseled off the bottom of the pot! I literally stood there and started to think of a way to only get crunchy rice! So if you don't want crunchy and mushy rice (which, by the way, became not mushy after it sat for a little bit), I would recommend checking it at 15 minutes.

Another note about this recipe: the intro note and comments from readers say that it tastes better the second day after the flavors have had a chance to blend. Well, I thought it was good the first night, and didn't necessarily improve the second or third days. It just kind of tasted the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment