July 22, 2010

San Francisco (Day 1)

Marshal Mike and I are in San Francisco for my dear friend Molly's wedding, and I thought I would share a couple of the great restaurants we have visited.


Photo from SPQRSF.com

On our first night in San Francisco, we ate at SPQR, which is an acronym for Senatus Populesque Romanus and translates to "The People and Senate of Rome" and was the emblem of the Roman Empire. The food was fantastic. We shared an heirloom tomato, summer melon and goat cheese salad. The red and yellow cherry tomatoes were the sweetest I have ever tasted and the watermelon, honeydew and cantaloupe were cut into the smallest, most precise cubes. MM had cherry tomato risotto for his main course, which he devoured and said tasted like a 2 Amy's pizza melted into risotto. (He loves 2 Amy's pizza, so that is a pretty high compliment from him.) I had the corn agnolotti with chanterelles, percorino and summer truffle. It was superb: sweet corn paired with the earthy mushrooms and truffle. We were too full after all that to try dessert!


Photo from ottimistasf.com

We were not too full to have another drink, however, so we tried Ottimista Enoteca-Cafe, which is within walking distance to our hotel. MM wasn't too pleased that they didn't have his beloved Sierra Nevada (SPQR didn't either), but I was glad we tried it regardless. The atmosphere was great, the bartender was friendly, and I had a delicious glass of Dolcetto d'Alba, which I had never tried before. (SF is so cold compared with the DC Sauna, that I have been drinking red wine!)

No comments:

Post a Comment